Friday, January 30, 2009

The Joys and Pains of Internet Movie Viewing

As you've noticed, I've been on an ongoing mission to watch all of the Best Picture nominees. So far, I've seen three: The Reader (Fabulous, with the added addtion of being free), Milk (Fantastic, I had to pay for that one), and Slumdog Millionaire (My favorite to win, I would pay to see it again and probably will). I'm well on my way to seeing a fourth with Frost/Nixon.

Problem is, I have no motivation to actually watch it.

As the lovely Anne Gould Northgraves would say, I'm in a quandary. I've had Frost/Nixon sitting on my Firefox toolbar for the past few days now, thanks to some time surfing Google and the video servers that so graciously (and illegally) provide it. So really, cost isn't an object - I can sit in my jammy jams and watch Michael Sheen give Frang Lengella a journalistic bitch slap at my convenience.

Problem is, I have absolutely no motivation to watch it. I do want to see if it's worth all the hype, and to see how much Langella will look like Tricky Dick. But my motivation to truly want to see the film has waned as the amount of press about other nominees has waxed.

At this point, it's a foregone conclusion that either The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (which I will watch as soon as my RA lends it to us - more on him later) or Slumdog Millionaire will win Best Picture. And it's a foregone conclusion in my mind that I'm rooting for the latter.

Any thoughts on who the winner should be? Or any reasons why I should actually watch Frost/Nixon?

No comments: