Friday, March 28, 2008

Homer Should've Stuck With Poetry

This morning was perhaps the most scary experience of my life concerning the internet.
I got up around 6:30 to pick housing for me and Kristyne, with Kristyne providing emotional support via IM (and later my loud-ass phone). The conversation went something like this:
Kristyne: i feel like singing the final countdown
Kristyne: it calms me
Kristyne: duh duh duh duh
Alex: Um...
Kristyne: duh duh duh duh duh
Kristyne: duh duh duh duh
Kristyne: duh duh duh duh duh duh
Alex: I like how you only know the synth line.
Kristyne: its the final countdown!
Kristyne: duh duh duh duh

I made it into the system no problem at 7 (a little slow, but that's to be expected with basic internet and everyone on the server at once). I got to the room - slowly - and clicked to confirm it. And then the unthinkable happened.
The connection timed out.
In the middle of it confirming our room, with 3 minutes left on the grace period.
The connection timed out.
Naturally, I was pissed. Kristyne chose this time to call (waking up Callie) and I proceeded to curse her out and hang up out of anger and fear of not getting the damn room. I clicked refresh, I went on Safari AND Firefox at the same time AND turned on Callie's computer, willing to exploit her free internet to try and get us the room.
As soon as I turned back around, it said the room was confirmed.
That was my cardio for the day.

No comments: