Thursday, March 20, 2008

I Want Your Freud


So the Global Studies midterm wasn't nearly as horrible as I thought it would be. Seriously. The essay was a little long, and I think I might've missed a rival theory to Putnam, but I really didn't think it was too hard. With finished, I started out writing this paper on Freud's Dora: An Analysis of a Case of Hysteria (which I am 3.5 pages into and I planned on doing 4.5ish, so really, not doing too horribly there). And let me say...I am quite confused.

Basically, he's saying that kids and women fake sick to get their parents and husbands love. Which makes sense. He also says that the main story has an odd dream about her running out of the house saving her jewelry box. Which has something to do with losing her virginity to her dad's mistress's husband, bed wetting, and oral fixation. And her distracted playing with her belt means that she likes to masturbate, apparently.
This was around the time I was fiddling with the highlighter and my hand and promptly stopped.
It's...a weird book, and I don't think I can look at Dora the same way again.
And I thought her jumping the fence was bad. Ooh, goodness.

No comments: