Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Love This Record, Baby: The Grammy Post


I've noticed that this blog has an unhealthy focus on television and movies (as does its writer).

So I've decided to include one of the most important nights in music tonight by focusing on the 51st Annual Grammy Awards and its nominees.

Record of the Year
>>"Chasing Pavements" - Adele
>>"Viva La Vida" - Coldplay
>>"Bleeding Love" - Leona Lewis
>>"Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
>>"Please Read The Letter" - Robert Plant & Allison Kraus

I would count on either "Bleeding Love" or "Viva La Vida" for winning this category; Leona Lewis was all over the radio this year, and this has arguably been Coldplay's most successful album yet. My vote goes to Coldplay (who will also be performing at the ceremony).

Album of the Year
>>"Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends" - Coldplay
>>"Tha Carter III" - Lil' Wayne
>>"Year of the Gentleman" - Ne-Yo
>>"Raising Sand" - Robert Plant & Allison Kraus
>>"In Rainbows" - Radiohead

Sorry, rap and R&B fans. The Grammy committee tends to favor rock and/or alternative music groups over hip-hop, so Lil' Wayne and Ne-Yo are probably out for this one. My prediction is that the fight will be between Coldplay and Radiohead to take this one home.

Song of the Year
>>"American Boy" - Estelle featuring Kanye West
>>"Chasing Pavements" - Adele
>>"I'm Yours" - Jason Mraz
>>"Love Song" - Sara Bareilles
>>"Viva la Vida" - Coldplay

Again, "Viva la Vida" may take it. But my next prediction would probably be "I'm Yours," because it's constantly on the radio, it's poppy and fresh, and it would be a wonderful win.

Best New Artist
>>Adele
>>Duffy
>>Jonas Brothers
>>Lady Antebellum
>>Jazmine Sullivan

I would like to vote for the Jonas Brothers in hoping that the Best New Artist curse continues with them being gone forever. But for who will actually win, my vote is for Adele. She has a fantastic voice, she's young and British and fresh and very talented.

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
>>"Chasing Pavements" - Adele
>>"Love Song" - Sara Bareilles
>>"Mercy" - Duffy
>>"I Kissed A Girl" - Katy Perry
>>"So What" - Pink

"So What" is like it. I don't think that Pink will take this one, and I have a feeling that the ballsy Bareilles may get the shaft as well. Adele and Duffy may cancel each other out and girl-kissing Katy may take it, if the Grammy voters are feeling bold.

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance
>>"All Summer Long" - Kid Rock
>>"Say" - John Mayer
>>"That Was Me" - Paul McCartney
>>"I'm Yours" - Jason Mraz
>>"Closer" - Ne-Yo
>>"Witchita Lineman" - James Taylor

Mayer has been more known for dating Jennifer Anniston this year, and I hope to GOD that the voters don't sink to Kid Rock. My prediction is either Mraz or Ne-Yo for this one - although Sir Paul does hold a certain nostalgia with the Grammys, so if there is a surprsie winner, it would be him.

Best Group Performance
>>"Viva la Vida" - Coldplay
>>"Waiting in the Weeds" - the Eagles
>>"Going On" - Gnarls Barkley
>>"Won't Go Home Without You" - Maroon 5
>>"Apologize" - OneRepublic

Again, Coldplay will most likely take this one. Not that the others aren't deserving, but this truly is Coldplay's year.

To see the rest of the nominees, go here. Or watch the show right now.

No comments: