Friday, February 13, 2009

Somebody Poisoned The Waterhole!

I have a confession to make. When I get bored, I surf IMDB for trivia and new projects. Or I "trivia hop": I start with one person's profile and hop to other people's. It's almost an embarrassing hobby, but it does guarantee that I know a lot about movies and TV.

So while I was trivia-hopping, I ended up on Tom Hanks' page and found this little tidbit. Apparently, Toy Story 3 is in the works for 2010.

This troubles me. See, I was a big fan of the first Toy Story. It was innovative, it was a great concept (toys coming to life), and it was genuinely a cute and funny movie. Hanks and Tim Allen as a cowboy and a spaceman fighting for supremacy and ultimately becoming friends? Movie gold.

I was a little less excited for Toy Story 2, even though I did end up seeing it and ended up liking it. I still didn't like it as much as the first one, though, and I wanted them to stop after that.

But Disney's been on a track of producing a lot of unnecessary sequels to movie that go straight to Disney Blu-Ray or DVD - some that have pretty much killed my childhood. So my feelings about Toy Story 3 aren't great. It seems like they're trying to milk the francise at the expense of the story—which Disney tends to do. Mulan 2, anyone?

It also seems odd to me, because most of the kids watching Disney these days haven't seen the original Toy Story. The movie came out in 1999, and I figure the average age of a Toy Story viewer is about 7ish. I was 10 when the original came out, and now I'm going to be about 20 or 21 when this one comes out. The kids watching this movie as Disney's target audience are going to be Generation Z. Which means unless Woody dumps Bo Peep for a Hannah Montana doll and Buzz Lightyear turns out to be a closet Jo Bro fan, I don't think it'll work.

*cries* It's just not the SAME! Make it stop!

No comments: